It has already been over three years ago that we released https://palava.tv, open sourced the code and decided for a NGO like structure. Even though it has not been actively developed for a while, it runs stable and serves as an easy to use, end to end encrypted and data protecting video chat and conference utility.
Recently, we reactivated the development in form of a local hacksession that resulted in an additional ‘Audio Only’ option when joining a conference, a new and more stable backend and an update of our webrtc abstraction library that should solve some issues with newer browser versions. Also, we put our cool logo picturing the ‘palava parrot’ on the home page :-)
In the next months, we will tackle some more improvements and features. If you’re interested in helping out in any of these, please let us know via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Easy Deployment: We think that distribution is the key to privacy and data protection. Thus, we want to make it as easy as possible to deploy your own palava on your own device, server or router. Our current plan is to offer preconfigured but customizable Docker containers and we already started writing the Dockerfiles for both frontend and backend.
- Frontend changes: Our frontend, the palava portal, needs some adjustments. We are in the process of converting it to ReactJS and provide a better mobile experience.
- I18N: We want to support more languages than English and we’re looking for native speakers to translate the UI.
- Android App: We started to develop an Android App that is basically a wrapper around the website to help with integration in the Android ecosystem. The code can be found here. We’re still looking for somebody who would like to help investigate a possible iOS App.
- Anonymous stats: More or less just room and user counters, no room names or personal information. This will be an addition to the new backend.
- Privacy Declaration: We have wanted one for a long time but nobody of us knows how to do it properly. If you do, please get in contact with us!